[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 11:07:25 EDT 2007

James Cummings wrote:

> I recognise I'm side stepping some of the issues there.

When you contact Johannes and say "can you send me your
document for my corpus", what does he do?

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Roma
should seriously downplay the use of <altIdent>,
and use it mainly for the full-scale language
translations, where the whole doc changes
namespace. Using <altIdent> to rename
div1 to section, and then forcing JP to
use <my:section> seems unfriendly and
unhelpful. If he really wants to use alternate
notation for the TEI abstract model, better if
he switches namespace for the whole document.

I shudder to think about the work needed on
Roma to support the last 2 weeks discussion
properly.

I am now assuming that, inter alia,
Roma should support a "canonical mode", in which
<altIdent> and <equiv> follow a different
route, in which the schema created is canonical,
but as a side effect an ad hoc canonicaliser
is created for you, to apply to documents
which are valid against a non-canonical
schema.