[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 08:58:58 EDT 2007

I think I am reaching a little closer to understanding; and I think
I am now happy that anything which makes a document unclean
must not be in the TEI namespace.

* The case where a customization adds an entirely new element,
and how to deal with the namespace there, seems clear.

* The language translations seem clear too.

* The case where I rename "div1" to "section"
is less clear, because the document can go four ways:

 a) distributed in pure TEI form, back to <div1>, via a canonicalizer
 b) foreign namespace form, to <myspace:section>
 c) non-conformant, with <section> in TEI namespace
 d) put entire document in foreign namespace

 (syntactic sugar similarly, assuming we understand <equiv>)

The detailed ramifications and recommendations are what
concern me, because the person currently doing this
will naturally say "OK, so what is the Right Thing
for me to do now".

Can someone tell me the story of what how
the div1/section thing will pan out in real-life
workflow?