[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 19:40:50 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> I don't see any alternative. If you decide to rename <div
> type="chapter"> as <chapter> and  James decides to rename <div
> type="section"> as <chapter> how  will I tell them apart?
God gave you <equiv> for this purpose
> Am I really going to go to the trouble of canonicalizing every
> document I receive (using tools I haven't got, and reference to the
> ODD you probably forgot to send me)?
no ODD, no conformance. the tool you want, I wrote for my TEI MM 2005 talk.
> Surely it's less work for me to deal with different namespaces, which
> my current toolkit *has* to be able to deal with anyway?
for you, maybe, but what about me?

> Maybe the way to approach this is, as for different languages, for the
> TEI to define yet another namespace for sugarred variants?

that doesn't really help, asI haven't bought the "different namespace
for language translations" thing yet either.

I have a horrible feeling I am coming to the idea that "interchange
format" means
"expanding the <equiv> information".

I had  better go to bed before I end up agreeing to anything else.