[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 19:35:19 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> I don't get this. If you want 1 character tag names, don't use the
> TEI. Write your own schema, define a mapping between it and the TEI.
> You have attained conformance without confusing the TEI namespace. Next.

I think you're maybe misunderstanding Syd here.

Tite proposes (eg) <sup> as syntactic sugar for <hi rend="sup">.
I think you are saying that <sup> will have to be either <sup
or <x:sup>, where "x" is defined up front. Given the usage of <sup>,
you _will_ end up doing one or other on every occasion, at a minimum
extra cost of 4 characters per use (start and end tag). Given that
the aim is to save money, it does seem undesirable.

Me, I think that if <sup> has an <equiv> doing the mapping,
it can stay in the TEI namespace, but I still haven't read the discussion
of you lot over Easter.

As Syd says, no sane Tite user would pay for <x:sup> over <sup>,
so Tite won't conform; unlike Lite, which _will_ be OK.