[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 19:32:26 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>> The point of much of the syntactic sugar renaming in Tite is to
>> reduce keystrokes. Requiring even a 1-character namespace prefix
>> would negate any advantages.
>>
> yes, I had not grasped that these syntactic sugars
> would be in a different namespace until a few hours ago.
> I agree, I personally think that's simply unworkable.

I don't see any alternative. If you decide to rename <div
type="chapter"> as <chapter> and  James decides to rename <div
type="section"> as <chapter> how  will I tell them apart? Am I really
going to go to the trouble of canonicalizing every document I receive
(using tools I haven't got, and reference to the ODD you probably forgot
to send me)?. Surely it's less work for me to deal with different
namespaces, which my current toolkit *has* to be able to deal with anyway?

Maybe the way to approach this is, as for different languages, for the
TEI to define yet another namespace for sugarred variants?