[tei-council] class struggle continues

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 12:42:09 EDT 2007

James Cummings wrote:

>> Seems to me that
>> * persName ought to be a member of att.personal (definitely)
> agreed

Unfortunately, this causes everything to break, since persName
explicitly defines its own @type

>> * @full and @sort ought to be separated from @type (maybe)
> Is there anything special about @type here compared to that provided by
> att.typed?  Or maybe I should be asking, what is the difference?

Sometimes (about 40%) when an element has a @type, it has  inherited it
from att.typed. Other times it defines it for itself. Usually this is
because the locally-defined variant has a helpful valList associated
with it. We looked at this problem, gingerly, at the class meeting in
Oxford and then ran away from it.  att.typed also gives you @subtype
which you may not want, but that seems to be less of an issue to me.

>> * att.naming is a silly name if all it does is give you @key, especially
>> as some of its members are not by any stretch of the imagination names
>> at all
>
> If we rename it, is it really the right place for @nymKey?  I have no
> suggestions for better names, but agree that one isn't really right.

I think it definitely is the right place for @nymKey. One gives you a
pointer to the thing being named, the other gives you a pointer to the
canonical name used for the naming.

>> * att.personal ought to be a member of att.naming (definitely)
>
> agreed.

but vide supra...