[tei-council] formatting of guidelines - schema fragments

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 12:07:24 EDT 2007

James Cummings wrote:
> Laurent Romary wrote:
>> BNF: Yearrrk.
>>
>> I must admit I do read RelaxNG fragment to check the content models and
>> their presence inliine within chapters is quite a nice feature for me. I
>> have more problems with the fact that for each class description, we get
>> the various variants of linearisation (ordered, unordered, optional,
>> etc.). Could we get rid of that?
>>

> Since we're in the process of re-examining how the guidelines should be
> displayed, there is of course another possibility.  That is, this
> information could be hidden from view until some expansion text is click by
> the user. (c.f. recent TEI-L discussion on inline display of marginal
> annotations)   This would allow the majority of users just to ignore their
> existence, and the interested few to expand the CSS-hidden specifications
> when they desire.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Indeed, as Laurent, I find
these formal descriptions useful myself. If people perceive this as too
obtrusive we could have an expandable section, whatever the preferred
format of the formal description is going to be.

> How much are we wedded to the notion of avoiding use of javascript and similar?
>
> Although I was going to wait until after Dot and I had our brainstorming
> meeting, if anyone has any other suggestions for how the display of the
> guidelines can be improved do let us know (preferably on-list to encourage
> debate).

I have addedd some chapter-specific suggestions in Trac under my tickets
with the title "Output issues".

--
Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate