[tei-council] class struggle continues

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 11:10:41 EDT 2007

I've just fallen over what looks to be a mistake in the way a couple of
classes are defined. The two are:

att.personal  "common attributes for those elements which form part of a
personal name" which gives you @type @full and @sort

att.naming    "provides attributes common to elements which refer to
named persons, places, organizations etc." which just gives you @key
(and will also shortly give you @nymKey)

Members of att.personal: addName  forename  genName  nameLink  roleName
  surname

Members of att.naming: affiliation  birth  bloc  collection  country
death  district  education  geog  geogName  institution  name
nationality  occupation  persEvent  persName  persState  persTrait
placeName  pubPlace  region  relation  repository  residence  rs
settlement  socecStatus

Seems to me that
* persName ought to be a member of att.personal (definitely)
* @full and @sort ought to be separated from @type (maybe)
* att.naming is a silly name if all it does is give you @key, especially
as some of its members are not by any stretch of the imagination names
at all
* att.personal ought to be a member of att.naming (definitely)

I propose to make the changes marked "(definitely)" above since without
them I won't be able to validate the new version of ND I have promised
Arianna for tomorrow...