[tei-council] formatting of guidelines - schema fragments

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 10:37:42 EDT 2007

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
I do see that it is a bit
>> strange that we are saying ODD is the way and then showing one particular
>> interpretation of that ODD as Relax NG Compact Syntax throughout the
>> guidelines.
>
> I agree. Good catch, Sebastian--although you don't seem to do any other
> kind!

Coincidentamentally, only yesterday I was asked by the person currently
rewriting the FSD spec for ISO why we used this funny syntax (he meant
RelaxNC) to express constraints on the element structures. I told him
that we had to use some formal language or other, and that the compact
syntax was felt to be simpler to take in than the comparatively verbose
relaxng syntax used in the ODDs.

While I take the point, I don't see any sensible alternative. BNF anyone?