[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 16:26:22 EDT 2007

Daniel O'Donnell wrote:

> My only question is why to we discuss renaming elements as distinct from
> just creating new ones at all then?  I.e. why raise the possibility at
> all?
Renaming, like translation, is a specific kind of user mod which may
greatly improve usability for some applications. In TEI-Tite, for
example, they have introduced lots of renaming mods of the kind <xx>
which are defined as renamings for <hi rend="xx">.  It seems helpful to
identify this as a possibility which is not quite the same as
*inventing* a tag <xx>, even though in conformance terms they are much
of a muchness -- if only because, as James points out, it's a Simple
Matter Of Programming to canonicalise the renaming.

> 1) Only official TEI subsets and translations or clean subsets thereof
> may use the official TEI namespaces

what exactly is an "official" TEI subset? I think you mean "only schemas
derived from the TEI modules either without modification or using only
"clean" modification"
> 2) All new or renamed elements, attributes, or non-clean modifications
> of elements or attributes, must be in a user defined namespace.

that's about the size of it.