[tei-council] MD chapter revised: namespace rules

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 06:37:27 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Wittern Christian wrote:
>>> Like everybody else, I'm having trouble with simple project-based
>>> renamings, since they can remain in the TEI namespace under principle 3.
> I think there's a misunderstanding here. Renaming an element is *not* a
> clean modification, since the set of documents now regarded as valid is
> not a pure subset of the documents regarded as valid before the
> modification.

I think this misunderstanding arises from my proposal...

I was suggesting that TEI Conformant documents could have renamings in the
TEI namespace, as long as they could be reverted according to the
information in the referenced ODD.  And then TEI Interchange Format would
insist that any such renamings be reverted before interchange.

However, it seems like a majority of people now do not see renamings as a
clean modification, so renamings must then appear in a new namespace.

So:
1) Any new element must be in user-defined namespace (UDN)
2) Any new attribute must be in UDN
3) If you make a dirty (i.e. non-subsetting) change to an element it must
move to a UDN (and possibly be renamed)
4) If you make a dirty change to an attribute it must move to a UDN (and
possibly be renamed)
5) The only changes to elements or attributes which do not result in them
being moved to a UDN are subsetting changes.  That is, changes with further
restrict content models, attribute value lists, or datatypes, in such a
manner that a document which validates against this schema also continues
to validate against tei_all.

Is that a fair summary?

-James