[tei-council] Conformance draft checked in

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 18:16:28 EDT 2007

Working through James's draft definition of conformance, I've made the
following substantive changes (plus a bunch of minor stylistic changes)

1. I've added the requirement that a tei conformant document must
respect the semantics embodied in the Guidelines to the discussion of
the TEI abstract model and moved that up the list of conformance
pre-requisites a bit.

2. I've reinstated the requirement for a sourceDesc. Even James says
that this is "recommended practice" for documents born digital, and
since conformance is a prerequisite for "recommended practice"....

3. I've combined the three varieties of nonconformance into one section,
and turned around the comment about the use of TEI namespace  in such
documents (James had it expressed as a pious hope, and I have made it an
opportunity not to be missed)

I got tired at the point that James started talking about namespaces
(section CFNS to be exact) and haven't revised that or following
subsections. I'm minded to delete the last section (on funding bodies)
completely, as aforesaid. And I am sorry, but I haven't reviewed all the
comments made so far to make sure I've addressed them all.
I am handing the draft over to James to do that!

I have also removed completely what used to be chapter IN. It's possible
that we might need to add a new section following CF, which says
(a) Use Unicode and use <g> if unicode doesnt do it for you
(b) Use XML
but that shouldn't amount to more than a paragraph or two.

I am still not sure what (if anything) should replace the current
chapter DT.
And, John, where are we with the updates for the current section SH?

Anyway, a new HTML version of all this stuff is now available for your
reading pleasure at
http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/USE.html

Please read through this as soon as possible and comment here. We need
to get our story on this sorted out before Berlin, in my opinion.