[tei-council] Minimal TEI schema

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Apr 7 13:46:52 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
>> SO, today's question : should we state that a minimal requirement
>> for TEI conformance is that the schema in question uses those four
>> modules (header, textstructure, tei, core)? I don't see that
>> assertion spelled out in the current draft, though there is
>> reference to "the TEI basic four modules" which is presumably the
>> same thing.
>
> While it isn't strictly necessary (I think I can come up with an ODD
> that would not use core, but otherwise would make sense to call
> conformant), I think it would be much easier on everyone involved
> (users, editors, council members) to just say core is required. After
> all, the schema generated from an ODD that does not use core cannot
> be used to encode anything, it's just an oddity :-) Only those of us
> who are interested in writing papers about literate schema-building
> and the interaction between prose and formal rules are going to care.

Do we need our definition of Conformance to necessarily reference what modules
you must use?  While I can't picture anything other than 99.9% TEI Conformant
documents using Core, I'm not as sure that we need to specify that XYZ modules
must be included in the ODD for your document (that validates against the schema
generated from that ODD) to be Conformant. While almost everyone is going to do
this anyway, does it benefit us to make it a requirement?

To be honest, I'm ambivalent, but wondered why this should be a requirement.

-James