[tei-council] Conformance .... the continuing saga

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Fri Apr 6 14:02:52 EDT 2007

> Depends what "it" is. It only has to explain enough for the further
> explanation in MD to be comprehensible.

Absolutely true, but I'm claiming that's too much.

> It is your assertion, and your assertion only, that no one will be
> interested in making a schema capable of validating TEI conformant
> documents without using ODD. You may be right, you may be wrong.

Not quite. But I do think few enough people will want to do so
strongly enough that putting instructions on doing so in the
Guidelines is counter-productive. Discussions of parametrized DTDs
will add more confusion to more people than it will help those few
who might really want to do this.

> > BTW, does anyone actually know how to go about stitching together
> > the RNG schema fragments in a manner that permits similar
> > capabilities to using parametrized DTDs?
>
> Anyone capable of reading the output from Roma maybe?

Which output from Roma did you have in mind?

In any case, I'm guessing you think I mean "stitch together a schema
which loads some TEI modules", which I agree, is not particularly
difficult. But I had more complex customizations in mind. E.g.,
things like
* load core, tei, header, and textstructure (of course)
* also load gaiji & figures
* change things 'round so that <g> is only permitted as a child of
  <head>
* move <figure> to model.global
* make <figDesc> a required child of <figure>