[tei-council] Conformance .... the continuing saga

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 5 10:04:41 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
 > While on the face of it Lou's suggestion (mention all 3 methods of
 > generating a complete TEI schema: via ODD, parametrized DTD, or
 > stitching RNG) seems quite reasonable, Arianna's point that we would
 > then need to make sure SG explained both DTDs and RNG enough to do
 > this is a strong argument against, IMHO.

Probably I didn't explain myself properly. What I meant is that whatever
you editors decide to do (e.g. leave or take out the references to the
use of parameter entities to stitch DTD fragments in SG), this needs to
be consistent with what you say in MD or in your HOWTo do paper. So, for
instance, if there are references to the way you can stitch DTD
fragments and not references to the way you would do the same with
RelaxNG, this needs to be explained rather than left to the reader to
figure out that the old DTD method is there because it was once used and
supported by TEI.

 > The Guidelines
 > are already daunting enough. Why add large sections of potentially
 > confusing information that will likely be used by an extraordinarily
 > small number of users (perhaps 0), to explain something that isn't
 > even conformant?

I agree that it may be overwhelming to add all this prose on
introductory chapters and, personally, I wouldn't mind if these
explanations were confined somewhere else even outside the guidelines if
that matters, but I do think they should be accessible and mentioned at
least. In any case, I don't want to sound pedantic. At the end of the
day, you have to write additional prose, so if adding this information
takes time from more urgent stuff, I am totally in favour of postponing
work on this.

Arianna

--
Dr Arianna Ciula