[tei-council] Conformance draft: namespace purity

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Apr 3 14:16:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-04 at 13:13 -0400, Syd Bauman wrote:
> > This is the kind of thing the board should be addressing: it is not
> > a technical issue but a good practice and archiving issue.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're addressing, Daniel, but I think the
> issue at hand (how customizations, namespaces, conformance, and
> interchange format interact) is a technical issue, albeit one with
> some non-technical ramifications. While the Board may want to review
> Council's ideas and decisions about these issues and give some
> high-level guidance in setting the balance point between ease-of-use
> and best practices (like "it should be easier", or "the definitions
> should be more specific", or "it would be good if it could handle
> internationalization more smoothly"), seems to me the details are
> entirely up to the Council and the editors.
>
> That said, if the Board thinks a certain technical path is likely to
> have a negative impact on the TEI Consortium (which I am quite
> worried about), they should say so. Since we haven't left ourselves
> enough time, I don't think, to get a good feeling of how the general
> TEI community feels about these issues, perhaps getting the Board's
> thoughts is a good idea.

No I meant the "shrug" is a board issue: convincing funding agencies
that it is nothing to shrug about is not directly technical, provided
that the technical is good.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191