[tei-council] Conformance draft: namespace purity

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Apr 3 13:13:14 EDT 2007

> This is the kind of thing the board should be addressing: it is not
> a technical issue but a good practice and archiving issue.

I'm not sure exactly what you're addressing, Daniel, but I think the
issue at hand (how customizations, namespaces, conformance, and
interchange format interact) is a technical issue, albeit one with
some non-technical ramifications. While the Board may want to review
Council's ideas and decisions about these issues and give some
high-level guidance in setting the balance point between ease-of-use
and best practices (like "it should be easier", or "the definitions
should be more specific", or "it would be good if it could handle
internationalization more smoothly"), seems to me the details are
entirely up to the Council and the editors.

That said, if the Board thinks a certain technical path is likely to
have a negative impact on the TEI Consortium (which I am quite
worried about), they should say so. Since we haven't left ourselves
enough time, I don't think, to get a good feeling of how the general
TEI community feels about these issues, perhaps getting the Board's
thoughts is a good idea.