[tei-council] Conformance draft: namespace purity

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 10:11:49 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> PS
>> I think that James' stipulation in the draft that new elements
>> *must* be in a a non-TEI namespace might be a bit overstated --
>> perhaps we should *permit* null-namespace additions.
> I agree ..

Discussing this with Lou this afternoon he too seemed to be of the opinion
that we should *permit* null-namespace additions as a Conformant TEI
Extension schema.  I believe the draft he will be working on this weekend
will incorporate that.

I agree that new elements cannot be in the TEI namespace, but am flexible
on whether they need to be in any namespace.  Certainly my draft was
assuming that they would be, and I think this should be 'Recommended
Practice', even if we don't make it a requirement for conformance.

This only affects the TEI Extension and similar schemas.  For example, a
Renaming Customisation is still using the TEI namespace for its
TEI-but-renamed elements.

-James