[tei-council] conformance draft

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 05:42:42 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> James Cummings wrote:
>> Other than painting ourselves into a corner, can you explain to me why
>> this
>> is such a bad thing?  Surely this customising can still be done with
>> RELAXNG inside an ODD?
>>
> Yes, but it is a pain. If all you want to do is have a RELAXNG
> wrapper schema which imports 4 or 5 TEI modules, you
> are forced to go through a klunky web service, or install
> amateurish software locally. It makes an unncessary bottleneck.

Ok, but let's remember we're talking about Conformance here... there is no
requirement for them to be Conformant, and if all they want to do is have a
RELAXNG wrapper schema to do this, perhaps Conformance isn't something they
are interested in?

>>  TEI's
>> liberality in allowing customisation is simultaneously its greatest
>> strength and greatest barrier to mass-adoption.
> amen, bro...

And hence why ODD will hopefully be useful in creating focussed
micro-formats which will aid this.

-James