[tei-council]DTDs (was conformance draft)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 05:32:18 EDT 2007

We are not talking about dropping support for DTDs any time soon. We are
talking about how much of the inner workings of the TEI DTDs should be
exposed in P5.

In P3 and preceding, DTD technology was moderately new as far as many of
its users were concerned, and so the Guidelines go to great lengths to
explain everything about how it works, exactly. There was no pizza chef,
let alone Roma, so the only way of customizing the thing was to really
grok those parameter entities.

We have now introduced ODD which is widely regarded as a great step
forward precisely because it conceals that machinery from the user and
allows us to specify in the Guidelines how schemas should be constructed
without going into details about how they should be instantiated as
RelaxNG or DTD or whatever... sort of like we don't talk about the
stylesheets needed to format TEI elements.

However, I think there is justice in the Mulberry view that says we
really ought not to require that everyone use our own ODD engine, and
that no-one will ever be able to build another ODD engine if we don't
document how such an engine is supposed to work somewhere.  Note that I
am not saying "we need a user manual for Roma" (we have one more or
less); I am saying "we need a specification for how the various bits of
ODD are actually used to generate Relaxng and DTD schemas"

I am now coming round to the view that this should be a new section of
chapter 28. I think the DTD part of it would be fairly easy to compile
(l;argely from all the bits I've been hacking out of other parts of that
chapter) but I will need help drafting the RelaxNG bits. Something for
Sebastian to be thinking about on his boat?

Lou