[tei-council] conformance draft

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Apr 2 23:08:57 EDT 2007

Apologies, I'm not entirely up-to-date on this thread, but ...

> I was intentionally being hard-line dictatorial and stating that
> TEI Conformance requires there to have been an ODD at some point to
> generate the schema.

I recall that Council expressed a pretty strong opinion on this at
the 2005 meeting in Paris, although I don't know if it was an
official vote or not. The overwhelming majority thought that ODD
should be the only way to go.

> I am now thinking that the sensible thing would be to simply axe
> all the discussion of parameter entities etc. and simply say how to
> do the job with an ODD. Do we agree?

I don't think any discussion of parameter entities is warranted.
*Maybe* instructions for stitching together a Relax NG schema. Maybe.

> if we don't document the parameter entities, we might as well stop
> producing them, no? and we might as well stop distributing the DTD
> modules?

Right. If you wanna use a DTD, the only one you get to use is either
a) the one generated from your ODD via roma, or
b) one you create from the Relax NG schema you stitched together, if
   we go that route.

Furthermore, if you wanna use a DTD we should make it very clear and
abundantly explicit that you are not getting a lot of the validation
that you would get if you were using Relax NG.