[tei-council] conformance draft

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 18:08:03 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:

> 1. The definition of "recommended practice" used to have a third point:
>
> "all textual features which the guidelines recommend be captured are
> in fact encoded. "
> which James removed presumably because he could think of no case where
> the Guidelines actually  makes recommendations about the level of
> encoding to be applied (i.e. where it suggests that you really ought
> to mark up paragraphs, say, or lines in verse)
I confess it all. It was me what removed that sentence. for the reason
you suggest. It just
begs the question "yeah, so what are they, then?".

> 4. The suggestion that a sourceDesc element is no longer required
> seems unwise to me.  If a document is "born digital" the fact should
> be stated, and the sourceDesc is the place to do it.
if a document has no <sourceDesc>, then its born digital. QED. Its just
silly in practice to
force me to _say_ so on every document I write, especially since I
always leave it blank....

(apropos of which, I can't remember if James avoided this trap? does he
say that
the mandatory elenents cannot be empty?

> 9. I don't like section 1.7 much: it makes me feel uneasy. We are not
> in a position to tell funding bodies what they should or shouldn't
> think, and even if we were it shouldn't be a topic for this chapter.
> We ought to be clear first about what *we* mean by TEI conformance,
> and although I think this discussion is clarifying that quite a lot,
> we ain't there yet. Issues of "superior quality" and "greater academic
> scrutiny" surely relate to matters which are out of scope here (see
> for example my point 1 above)

it could be said that this section is a bit patronizing. I didn't mind
it when I read it,
but if you object, it doesnt damage the chapter to remove it.