[tei-council] conformance draft

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 17:49:56 EDT 2007

James Cummings wrote:

>> 3. The discussion of a "TEI derived schema" (1.2.2 in the current
>> draft) talks about ODD-derived schemas and about exemplars, but does
>> not mention the feasibility of constructing a TEI schema by combining
>> either DTD fragments or RelaxNG fragments. Are we specifically
>> outlawing that approach, or are we just passing over it in silence? I
>> don't think either approach will win us any friends.
>
> I was wondering who would raise that first -- that is before Wendell
> sees it -- I was intentionally being hard-line dictatorial and stating
> that TEI Conformance requires there to have been an ODD at some point
> to generate the schema. I think we should outlaw that approach for TEI
> Conformance.  I'm happy for people to do it, but think we should have
> a No-ODD, No-Conformance, approach.  I don't feel that people who will
> be doing that will be as concerned about Conformance in any case.

OK, well just supposing for the moment that we don't mind upsetting
Wendell too much, how do we feel about the current text of MD which I am
currently hacking at?

I am now thinking that the sensible thing would be to simply axe all the
discussion of parameter entities etc. and simply say how to do the job
with an ODD. Do we agree?