[tei-council] Conformance draft: namespace purity

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 14:25:50 EDT 2007

Over the last week, Dan, Dot, Arianna, Conal, Sebastian and I have all
expressed support for James's proposal that (inter alia) conformance in
a TEI document implies that the TEI namespace remains unpolluted by
user-defined elements.

Does any of those who have remained silent on the topic wish to speak up
before we move on to the next drafting phase of this document, or can I
assume that the argument in favour of TEI purity is carried?  Re-reading
the thread again, there does seem to be a strong consensus, but I am
also aware that not everyone is sure about how far this extends.

Personally, I would like to see a bit more text at the start of this
chapter explaining what conformance is for and what it means. This ought
to explain the distinction between formal validation (against a specific
schema) and usage of a namespace, and what each buys you in terms of
interoperability.  It should make clear the reasoning behind insisting
that elements which are not defined by the TEI (i.e. not in the
Guidelines) cannot be in the TEI namespace. And of course it should make
clear what this means in practice for TEI-schema-developers.

I have a couple of other points about the draft, which I will make in
separate notes.