[tei-council] Place draft

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 03:59:22 EST 2007

Lou's Laptop wrote:
> Still some way to go on this one, I fear -- keep those examples flooding
> in chaps --

Ok, find below my sample, which validated against an rnc generated from the
testplace.odd.  I'm not entirely sure I've done things correctly, and happy
to hear where I've gone wrong.

I chose the "Regional Municipality of Waterloo" in Ontario, Canada.  Dat is
where I done growed up! This regional municipality used to be called
'Waterloo County', and comprises a number of cities including
Kitchener-Waterloo.  K-W, as everyone calls it, is officially two separate
cities which have grown together in a conurbation, but their governments
are entirely separate.  Kitchener, up until 1916, used to be called
'Berlin' when a (much derided) vote was held to change its name.  I've not
included the other cities and townships which make up the regional
municipality for brevity.  Find my <listPlace> below.

=========
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<listPlace xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
  <place>
    <placeName notAfter="1973" notBefore="1853">Waterloo County</placeName>
    <placeName notBefore="1973">Regional Municipality of Waterloo</placeName>
    <location>
      <country>Canada</country>
      <region type="province">Ontario</region>
    </location>
    <!-- <placeTrait> doesn't allow <measure>  -->
    <location type="area">
      <measure quantity="1382" unit="sqkm">1,382
      km&#xb2;</measure>
    </location>
    <placeTrait notAfter="1973" notBefore="1853" type="county">
    </placeTrait>
    <placeTrait notBefore="1973" type="municipality">
    </placeTrait>

    <placeEvent notBefore="1973">
    </placeEvent>
    <place>
      <placeName notBefore="1916">
        <choice>
          <expan>Kitchener-Waterloo</expan>
          <abbr>K-W</abbr>
          <abbr>KW</abbr>
        </choice>
      </placeName>
      <placeName type="psuedonym">Twin Cities</placeName>
      <place>
        <placeName notAfter="1916" notBefore="1833">Berlin</placeName>
        <placeName notBefore="1916">Kitchener</placeName>
        <location type="area">
          <measure quantity="136.89" unit="sqkm">136.89
          km&#xb2;</measure>
        </location>
        <placeTrait notAfter="1854" notBefore="1833" type="hamlet">
        </placeTrait>
        <placeTrait notBefore="1912-06-09" type="City">
        </placeTrait>
        <placeEvent notBefore="1916">
          <label>Change of Name</label>
            large percentage of people of German background living in
              <soCalled>Canada's German capital</soCalled>, it was
            decided by ballot to change the name from
              <placeName>Berlin</placeName> to
            <placeName>Kitchener</placeName> after <persName>Lord
              Kitchener</persName>. Although
            <placeName>Berlin's</placeName> population ridiculed the
            proposed name change and refused to vote. Although it had
            a populate of well over 15,000 only 892 people voted. The
            name <placeName>Kitchener</placeName> with 346 votes won
            by 81 votes. <quote>Many Berliners supported maintaining
              the name of the city, as it reflected a proud tradition
              of growth and prosperity for German, and non-German,
              Canadians alike. Those citizens who supported the status
              quo were immediately perceived, by those who wanted
              change, as being unpatriotic and sympathizers with the
              enemy. Violence, riots and intimidation, often
              instigated by imperialistic members of the 118th
              Battalion, were not uncommon in the months leading up to
              the May 1916 referendum on the issue. <note>See <ref

target="http://www.collectionscanada.ca/education/firstworldwar/05180204/0518020404_e.html"
                  >What’s In a Name? Berlin to
          <note>See also
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_to_Kitchener_name_change</note>
        </placeEvent>
      </place>
      <place>
        <placeName notBefore="1857">Waterloo</placeName>
        <location type="area">
          <measure quantity="64.1" unit="sqkm">64.1
          km&#xb2;</measure>
        </location>
        <placeTrait notAfter="1876" notBefore="1857">
        </placeTrait>
        <placeTrait notAfter="1948" notBefore="1876">
        </placeTrait>
        <placeTrait notBefore="1948">
        </placeTrait>
      </place>
      <note>Kitchener-Waterloo (K-W) is an unofficial but ubiquitous
        name for the area in Ontario, Canada consisting of the twin
        cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, approximately 100 kilometres
        west of Toronto. The two cities grew into each other decades
        ago and their shared boundary cuts through streets, backyards
        and houses. While the term is used by local residents,
        Kitchener and Waterloo are separate cities and not a single
        municipal entity.</note>
    </place>

    <!-- The regional municipality of waterloo is made up of other
      places including: Cambridge, and the townships of Wellesley,
      Woolwich, Wilmot, and North Dumfries, not encoded here.   -->

    <!-- Why are places not allowed to be nested after <note> ?  -->

  </place>
</listPlace>
=========

-James