[tei-council] Re: webRoma

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Mar 27 11:25:47 EST 2007

> ok, have made a trac ticket to remind me
> ok, agreed, ditto.

Check, thanks.

> how is it to know, though? where will these rules be expressed.

Really good question. When Lou dreamed this concept up I was
initially under the (perhaps false) impression that attributes of
datatype data.enumerated had to have <valList>s, and those of other
datatypes had to *not* have <valList>s. This is why I thought
<valList> should be a child of <datatype>.

But if we're not to follow some simple algorithm like this, then we
would have to either:

* build rules not described in the Guidelines into the logic of
  webRoma, realizing they could be over-ridden by an ODD author if
  she wanted, OR

* make it explicit which datatypes may have <valList>s and which may
  not. Perhaps by putting an attribute on the <macroSpec> which
  defines the datatype? (Or a different value for type=?)

I think we should open a Trac ticket to tackle this and solve it.