[tei-council] Report on Vilnius meeting

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:51:07 EST 2007

I think we were supposed to comments on Matthew's draft about additions
to Places and Names and Nyms by giving some encoding examples today.

I would have like to have had the time to do this more extensively, but
here are my examples/comments for places for now and, even more briefly,
for <gi>nym</gi>.

*Places: examples*

An example of hierarchy among places expressed by using only nesting and
not <gi>relation</gi> and variants of place names (I suppose that this
could be expressed better using <nym> now):

<place xml:id="wales" type="country">
   <placeName xml:lang="la">Wales</placeName>
   <placeName xml:lang="la">Wallie</placeName>
   <placeName xml:lang="la">Wallia</placeName>
   <placeName xml:lang="la">Wall</placeName>
   <placeName xml:lang="fro">Le Waleis</placeName>
   <place xml:id="carmarthenshire" type="county" notBefore="1284">
     <placeName xml:lang="en">Carmarthenshire</placeName>
     <place xml:id="carmarthen">
       <placeName xml:lang="en">Carmarthen</placeName>
       <placeName xml:lang="la" notBefore="1090"
notAfter="1300">Kaermerdin</placeName>
       <placeName xml:lang="cy">Caerfyrddin</placeName>
       <place xml:id="carmarthen_castle" type="castle">
         <settlment>castle of Carmarthen</settlment>
       </place>
     </place>
   </place>
</place>

An example of a place that is unidentified, but that may be in Wales:

<place xml:id="hendy" type="unidentified">
    <placeName xml:lang="en">Hendy</placeName>
    ...?
     <relation name="geogPart" active="#wales" passive="#hendy"
cert="high"/>
    ...?
</place>

If I wanted to encode that the person Ranulf de Blundeville has been
earl of Chester, how would I encode this within the place tag for
Chester? as a placeEvent?

e.g.
<place xml:id="chester">
  <placeEvent type="political">
   <personName key="blundeville_de_ranulf">Ranulf de
Blundeville</personName> was earl of Chester <date from="1118"
to="1132">from 1118 to 1132</date>.
  </placeEvent>
</place>

Indeed, I wouldn't mind to use <gi>placeEvent</gi> for this type of
information, but its description would then need to be expanded and say
that it could be used for facts involving a place actively as well as
passively (well...relatively passively, since the place is actually
"witnessing" a fact here).

*Places: comments*

Prose errors:
There are some errors related to missing words, punctuation etc., but
given the state of the draft I don't think it's necessary to report on
this at this stage and, in any case, no to the entire list.

Reification of <gi>placeName</gi>:
I find a bit confusing the use of the <att>type</att> attribute for the

e.g.
<placeName type="building">Brasserie George</placeName>

example.

Place Description:
<gi>placeDesc</gi> is not described.

*Nym general*

I think this addition has lots of potential uses.
The segmentation of a person surname into components which are, for
instance, toponymics and therefore place names in its own right could be
one of these. I could also see a possible combination between the use of
<gi>nym</gy> and relations between person names for patronymics or similar.
So, for now, thanks to the people who have worked on this in Vilnius.

Arianna
--
Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate