[tei-council] What to do with an easter egg

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 11:27:29 EST 2007

I haven't seen any comment here on the document about editorial practice
which I posted here a couple of days ago, so I'm assuming that everyone
is reasonably happy with it. Which means that I can now circulate the
following slightly more detailed description of how I at least would
like council members to proceed when reviewing the chapters assigned to
them by Sebastian's note at the start of the week.

First however something we do NOT want: at this stage, we are not asking
you to undertake detailed proof-reading; we'll have another pass at that
later.

What we DO want is for you to read the material carefully and ask yourself:
  * is this expressed clearly
  * is this actually not a sensible recommendation (for whatever reason)
  * is this inadequate -- e.g. because it is out of date or incomplete

If you find something which doesn't pass all three of these tests, you
should do one of the following

  (a) get the XML source out of the subversion repository (see James's
notes on how to do that at http://www.tei-c.org/Council/tcw06.xml);
improve the text and either put the results back in the Council's branch
of the Subversion repository, or just email it to an editor.

  (b) add a comment to the TRAC ticket for this chapter in this task,
leaving the ticket open for someone else to complete the required action

  (c) create a completely new TRAC ticket identifying the issue for
other people to pick up and work on.

Choose option (a) if what needs doing is obvious and easily
accomplished. Choose option (b) if it looks straightforward but you're
not sure how (or don't have time)  to fix the problem.  Choose option
(c) if it doesn't look straightforward, you're not sure how to fix it,
and you think it needs a closer look.

The editorial guidelines mentions a number of stylistic things to look
out for (e.g. rhetorical style in new sections, references to DTDs,
additional or base tag sets in old sections, etc). You should also be
looking for unanticipated consequences of pervasive changes in P5 (e.g.
class work, datatyping of attributes, introduction of xml:id etc). And
please remember that after Berlin there will be *no* opportunity to
introduce further technical changes in 1.0 !

Excelsior!

Lou