[tei-council] Physical bibliography

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Mon Mar 19 06:36:06 EST 2007

Matthew and Council,

After posting my PB suggestions to the council list, Lou and I raised
a discussion on the PB workgroup listserv about modifying their
recommendations to incorporate some of our suggestions. The workgroup
chair, Murray McGillivray, expressed his disapproval of replacing the
elements with attributes and I don't think anyone else in the
workgroup had anything to contribute. We didn't get much farther than
this. At the last council call we decided to table PB for now, should
we consider putting it back on the table for the Berlin meeting?

Dot

On 3/19/07, Matthew James Driscoll <mjd at hum.ku.dk> wrote:
> I was asked (or volunteered, I can't remember) many moons ago to look at the
> draft proposal for marking up the physical structure of books and
> manuscripts (PB), and propose alternative solutions in cases where I found
> the markup unnecessarily verbose. Having now finally done so, I see that my
> alternative solutions are essentially the same as those proposed by Dot in a
> posting to the council on 2 August 2006, viz. replacing the bulk of the
> elements with attributes. So, according to Dot and me, instead of:
>
> <gatheringRange signed="yes">
>     <start>A</start>
>     <end>C</end>
>     <leaves>4</leaves>
> </gatheringRange>
>
> one could have
>
> <gatheringRange signed="yes" start="A" end="C" leaves="4"/>
>
> I'm assuming non-Latin, e.g. Greek and Hebrew, signatures can easily be
> acoommodated through the magic of Unicode.
>
> The insertion and cancellation of leaves should also be easily dealt with,
> e.g.
>
> <gatheringRange signed="yes" start="A" end="C" leaves="4" added="B3"
> missing="C2"/>
>
> The same applies to <pageRange>. Format, signature alphabet and other things
> where there is a finite number of possibilities could also be dealt with
> using attributes.
>
> Matthew

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu