[tei-council] Report on Vilnius meeting

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 18 11:21:19 EST 2007

Christian Wittern wrote:
>   However, if we talk about administrative geography here, you will
> also have to account for changes in the size and super/sub components
> of a place and a way to link this to coordinates defining the
> polygon.  Would the tagset be up to this task?
> And I guess you would need to say something about how the coordinates
> are expressed, otherwise your fancy GPS equipment (or Google Maps for
> that matter) wouldn't be able to do anything with it.
the testndextra.xml file, which is the test file for testndextra.odd
(Matthew, Lou - don't forget that important file) has an example
of GML:

          <location xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml">
              <gml:Point srsDimension="2"
srsName="urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG:6.6:4326">
                <gml:pos>41.876143755230956 12.479267120361328</gml:pos>
              </gml:Point>
            </location>

This describes a point, but obviously a polygon would be just
as easy (!) to encode.

Translating that <location> to KML  for eg Google Maps / Earth would be
trivial.

It was clear at the meeting that we could not (must not) think out a TEI
scheme
for serious GIS work, and GML seemed the likeliest contender as the drop in.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk