[tei-council] Report on Vilnius meeting

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Mar 18 11:13:44 EST 2007

Christian Wittern wrote:
> Matthew James Driscoll wrote:
>>
>> <listNym>
>
> does that mean you also proposa a <gi>listNym</gi> for TEI?

Yes. Matthew's report doesn't mention that there is a draft ODD,
probably because I have not yet got round to putting it anywhere where
Council members can see it easily. But if you look in the P5/Test
directory on sourceforge, you will see a file called testndextra.odd,
which contains the current state of the draft.

I've just put a copy of the HTML generated from this by Roma on the
website at http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/ndextra.html -- will try to keep
this up to date as the draft progresses

>> Our principal task at this meeting was to develop mechanisms for
>> encoding
>> place-names, analogous to those which were developed for personal
>> names at
>> the meeting in Oxford last year, which would allow for the recording of
>> abstracted information about a place, such as map coordinate, GIS
>> information etc., as well as variant forms of the name, in different
>> languages (e.g. Praha, Prague, Praga) and/or different forms over
>> time (e.g.
>> Lundunum, London). On the analogy with <person>, we propose a <place>
>> element, which will usually contain at least one, and possibly several,
>> <placeName> elements, followed by one or more <location> elements to
>> provide
>> geographical and/or geo-political information about the location of the
>> place.
>
> Why would you need more than one <location>?  I had the impression
> that the place is what stays constant? Is it because it also stands in
> for the geopolitical information?

Because a place might be located in more than one way (e.g. by its
geopolitical status, or by its co-ordinates), and may also move its
location over time.
> However, if we talk about administrative geography here, you will also
> have to account for changes in the size and super/sub components of a
> place and a way to link this to coordinates defining the polygon.
> Would the tagset be up to this task?

probably... because we embed GML!