[tei-council] Report on Vilnius meeting

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Mar 18 07:20:50 EST 2007

Thanks Matthew.  I have one quick question below

Matthew James Driscoll wrote:

> <listNym>

does that mean you also proposa a <gi>listNym</gi> for TEI?

> Our principal task at this meeting was to develop mechanisms for encoding
> place-names, analogous to those which were developed for personal names at
> the meeting in Oxford last year, which would allow for the recording of
> abstracted information about a place, such as map coordinate, GIS
> information etc., as well as variant forms of the name, in different
> languages (e.g. Praha, Prague, Praga) and/or different forms over time (e.g.
> Lundunum, London). On the analogy with <person>, we propose a <place>
> element, which will usually contain at least one, and possibly several,
> <placeName> elements, followed by one or more <location> elements to provide
> geographical and/or geo-political information about the location of the
> place.

Why would you need more than one <location>?  I had the impression that
the place is what stays constant? Is it because it also stands in for
the geopolitical information?   However, if we talk about administrative
geography here, you will also have to account for changes in the size
and super/sub components of a place and a way to link this to
coordinates defining the polygon.  Would the tagset be up to this task?
And I guess you would need to say something about how the coordinates
are expressed, otherwise your fancy GPS equipment (or Google Maps for
that matter) wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

> <place xml:id="IS">
>     <placeName xml:lang="en">Iceland</placeName>
>     <placeName xml:lang="is">Ísland</placeName>
>     <location type="lat-long">65 00 N, 18 00 W</location>
>     <placeTrait type="area">103,000 sq km</placeTrait>

Here you seem to point to a point with the extension of 103 000 sq km?!

>     <placeState type="gov" notBefore="1944">Constitutional
> republic</placeState>
>     <placeEvent type="political">Previously part of the kingdom of
> <placeName key="#DK">Denmark</placeName>, Iceland became independent
> on <date value="1944-06-17">17 June 1944</date>.</placeEvent>
> </place>

best, chw

--

  Christian Wittern