[tei-council] Hotels

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Fri Mar 9 17:30:38 EST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I've checked out the hotel list that Laurent sent and I'm drawn to the
Angleterre (http://www.gold-inn.de). Room charge for a single ranges
from 100-124 EUR (472 EUR for April 25-29), 10 EUR more per night for
a double. DSL connections in each room appear to be included in the
price. Breakfast is not included (15 EUR/day, which seems steep)
neither is the fitness area (9.50 EUR/day). 12 minute walk to the
BBAW. And it's cute!

http://www.gold-inn.de/angleterre/galerie_hotel.php

This is a good choice especially if you expect to take breakfast some
days outside the hotel, and/or if you don't exercise. So, this one is
my recommendation.

To the others...

******
The Albrechtshof and Allegra in Mitte both look nice, too
(http://www.hotel-albrechtshof.de/; http://www.hotel-allegra.de/). I
couldn't find anything on the websites about Internet access, I've
written messages to both and I'll report back what I find. I checked
the online booking system to see what the costs would be for April
25-29 and both claim to be unavailable. That seemed kind of strange so
I've contacted the hotels about that as well. Actually I don't have
much to say about these two until I hear back from them. 15 minute
walk to the BBAW.

The Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Hotel (http://www.hotel-dbh.de/) is less
expensive but not as attractive as the first three. Room charge for a
single is 105 EUR, for a double 145 EUR. This includes Internet
connection and breakfast. The website is entirely in German which I
haven't studied in a long, long time, but I think I have the correct
information. The online booking system is not working. Pictures here:
http://www.dietrich-bonhoeffer-hotel.de/galerie.html. Short ride to
the BBAW.

The Hotel Gendarm is quite nice and private (only 21 rooms), but more
expensive at 135 EUR for a single and 160 EUR for double. Breakfast
buffet is 13 EUR; I've sent them a message asking about Internet
access.  http://www.hotel-gendarm-berlin.de/. It's very close to the
BBAW, just a 4 minute walk.

On to the chains...
******

Mercure Checkpoint Charlie
(http://www.mercure.com/mercure/fichehotel/gb/mer/3120/fiche_hotel.shtml)
has both wifi access and highspeed Internet connections in the room,
though "extra charges may apply". Room rates range from 92-122 EUR for
a single (rate depends on whether you pay at time of booking or wait
until you get to the hotel). Breakfast is 16 EUR/day. Short ride to
the BBAW.

Hotel NH Berlin-Mitte is 124-134 EUR average per night for a single.
Wireless Internet is available in-room but it isn't clear whether an
extra cost is involved. Breakfast is 13 EUR/day. 8 minute walk to
BBAW.

Hotel Dorint Novotel Berlin Mitte (http://www.nh-hotels.com/) averages
139 EUR per night for a single. Wireless Internet is available but
watch for those extra charges. Breakfast is 15 EUR. 15 minute walk to
BBAW.

And finally...
*****

Then there is the Humboldt University guest housing
(http://www.ta.hu-berlin.de/index.php4?fd=502). These are small
apartments including small kitchens, ranging from 35 EUR for a single,
60 EUR for a double (sharing a bedroom), 25 EUR/person for a triple
(three bedrooms) and 30/35 EUR for a double (two bedrooms). The
multiple-bedroom apartments can only be shared by people of the same
gender. Breakfast is not included or available on-site. Short ride to
the BBAW.

Hope this information is helpful. I think I'll be booking at Angleterre.

Have a good weekend!

Dot

--
Dot Porter, University of Kentucky