[tei-council] Digital Diplomatics conference

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:42:41 EST 2007

Hi Arianna,

At the TEI member's meeting, you and I and a few other people were
talking about reviving the Transcription SIG, which seems to have
faded a way for a while. Are you interested? The CEI might be a good
point to start off on - will you be at the DH conference this summer?

Dot

On 3/5/07, Arianna Ciula <arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear council,
>
> For whom is interested, I just wanted to report briefly on the
> conference I came back from on Saturday: Digital Diplomatics
> http://www.cei.uni-muenchen.de/DigDipl07/index_en.html
>
> The international attendance was quite good with a majority of Germans
> of course.
>
> The majority of presented projects deal with a combination of relational
> database and use of XML (lots of TEI!).
>
> Few things to mention as far as TEI regards:
>
> Interesting presentations
> - good work done by two Italian students using TEI P5 (poster: Viviana
> Salardi, Luigi Siciliano: L`edizione digitale dello Statuto di Vicenza
> del 1264)
> - presentation of ODD by Gautier Poupeau
> - integration TEI-CIDOC presented by Christian-Emil Ore
>
> TEI/CEI
> As you may know already, the objective of the conference was to give a
> glimpse on digital projects related to medieval documents (it succeeded
> on this) and to work on the improvements of the CEI (Charter Encoding
> Initiative: funded three years ago - http://www.cei.lmu.de/index.htm)
> standard to encode these documents in XML. Unfortunately, despite the
> good work of synthesis and conceptual modelling done by Patrick Sahle
> and Gautier Poupeau, we didn't go very far on the latter, but it seems
> to me that
> - despite some more or less funded complains on the inability of TEI to
> represented the archival community and its objectives, all the CEI
> recommendations as they stand could easily been translated and/or
> represented in TEI P5
> - I will keep an eye on how the community is going to develop the
> standard and see what comes up
>
> Happy to give more details to whom is interested.
> All the best,
>
> Arianna
> --
> Dr Arianna Ciula
> Research Associate
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities
> King's College London
> Strand
> London WC2R 2LS (UK)
> Tel: +44 (0)20 78481945
> http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cch

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu