[tei-council] time to really allow instance to name schema?

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 19 03:33:09 EST 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> Dept: re-opening a can of worms :-)

Ah, right.  I had completely forgotten about these.

> TEI P5 needs to be finished up soon, and it would be a good idea, I
> think, to have this particular issue settled well before it is
> published. Because TEI is so customizable, it is quite helpful for
> the user if an instance can point to its schema. In general, the TEI
> would be as happy or happier if someone else (read OASIS) came up
> with the specification for this process, so that TEI P5 could refer
> to it. My instinct is that a PI is the right place for this
> information, but I'm not even sure that is a given.
>
> I don't think there is really that much work to be done in this area
> to come up with a unified proposal. Does any one else think it is
> worth any effort? Is this something that comes under the jurisdiction
> of the OASIS Relax NG Technical Committee?

I am all in favor for this to go to a committee outside the TEI to be
considered, with the TEI providing input and also a community with a
commitment to use the spec, once ready.  The only concern is that this
(a) should not take steam out of our effort to concentrate on the
immediate issues for P5 and (b) that it becomes decoupled from P5, so
that we are not being held up if this gets stranded somewhere.

Christian