[tei-council] header element to reference schema

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 18 12:37:01 EST 2007

We have an outstanding feature
request to extend the TEI header  to allow a pointer in the TEI
to the schema (in the loosest sense) against which this document is valid.
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1650195&group_id=106328&atid=644065)

The requestor boldly begs " this should be able to cope with different
namespaces... i.e. I should be
able to reference the relaxNG schema for elements starting with rng: the
tei: schema I'm using, the svg: schema I'm using, etc.  I should be able
just to point to an ODD, an RNG, etc. or embed my ODD
etc."

My inclination is to say that ISO NVDL is supposed to cope with this,
and that we
could simply document as a technique how to embed NVDL in its namespace
in the header (much
as http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#tei-modularization discusses how to
add ITS <rule>
to the TEI).

However, YMMV. So, _another_ little survey, please. Answers by next weekend;
if there is no convincing consensus,  the default answer will apply.

Regarding the addition of a header element (or PI or whatever) to the TEI
scheme to point to a scheme, choose one of the following:

A. I don't understand the issues and am content to let others decide
B. I think it is really important and the TEI must deal with it  by
itself for 1.0
C. It is important, but best left to the industry, and we should simply
encourage OASIS to pick it up
D. It can be dealt with using NVDL and we should document that somewhere
E. We should leave it until after 1.0, and set up a working party then
F.  It's not an issue, people should use whatever scheme they like

Since I was handed the ticket to resolve, I choose "C" as the default answer
by which I will deal with the ticket if Council does not give a direction.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk