[tei-council] TEI Numbered Divs Survey: The Results.

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Feb 11 18:13:05 EST 2007

James, Arianna,

Thanks for suggesting the survey and shepherding it along.  This
provides and excellent base for our decision.

As I was foolish enough to indicate my expectations before, I am pleased
to see them met here:-)  So basically, I think we should go along with
James recommendations.

The only thing that worries me a bit is this:

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> comment #27 was mildly interesting, because it is a bit like
> the way the TEI Guidelines themselves are marked up
> (on which subject I bent Lou's ear on Friday, arguing the
> Guidelines are unnecessarily complex in this respect).

The comment is

<quote>
We start with *div1* in almost all cases, but use *div0* where there is
some extraordinary high-level division of a text (say, division of a
work into "book 1" and "book 2"). That way, our navigation structure can
continue to rely on *div1* for user display, but we can still accurately
reflect the true structure of
the work.
</quote>

If I understand things right, we would not be able to use <div> above
<div1> to accomodate this use case?
We should also make it clear that this was one of the reasons to *not*
use numbered divs in the first case.

(What do you intend to do with the Guidelines themselves?  Continue with
numbered divs or ditching them?)

best, chw

--

  Christian Wittern