[tei-council] limited phrase, take 2

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Jan 30 12:30:58 EST 2007

>From a user perspective, the goal of the limited phrase project is to
have a smaller content model for lots of elements -- getting rid of
things like having <caesura> as a child of <resp>.

But from a class-management perspective, how to do this is an
interesting question. As I started setting up a list of model classes
that would need to be changed to implement limited phrases, it
occured to me that perhaps we weren't dividing them up at the right
level of abstraction.

The current proposal boils down to the idea that model.phrase would
remain pretty much as it is -- an amalgamation of subclasses
(although some of those subclasses would be jiggled around a bit),
and a new class, call it 'model.limitedPhrase', would be created that
has as members only a subset of the same amalgamation of subclasses
that belong to model.phrase. (The current proposal is the original
proposal of some months ago modified a bit to take into account the
conversation that followed. This is what Council asked me to
implement on the last con-call.)

But alternatively, we could divide model.phrase into two main
branches: one that is the limited phrase set, and the rest. I.e.,
divide model.phrase at the top level, and use the "limited" subclass
(here called model.phrase.originated -- feel free to suggest a better
name) in contexts where a limited phrase content model is desired.

Here are the details of:
- what we have now
- the current proposal
- a division of model.phrase into 2 main subclasses

Does anyone have reasons why one of these proposals is better than
the other? (BTW, don't get caught up in the names I've come up with
-- in fact, feel free to recommend better ones!)

--------- what we have now ---------

model.phrase =
   model.graphicLike = binaryObject eg egXML formula graphic
   model.hiLike = distinct emph foreign gloss hi mentioned soCalled term title
   model.lPart = caesura rhyme
   model.oddPhr = att code gi ident specDesc specList tag val
   model.pPart.data = address
      model.dateLike = date
      model.measureLike = measure num
      model.nameLike = geogName lang placeName rs
          model.nameLike.agent = name orgName persName
      model.timeLike = time
   model.pPart.edit = abbr add app choice corr damage del expan orig
      reg restore sic space supplied unclear
   model.pPart.msdesc = catchwords dimensions handShift heraldry locus
      material origDate origPlace secFol signatures watermark
   model.ptrLike = ptr ref
   model.ptrLike.form = oRef oVar pRef pVar
   model.segLike = c cl m phr s seg w

--------- current proposal ---------

model.phrase =
   model.graphicLike = binaryObject formula graphic
   model.egLike = eg egXML
   model.hilighted =
      model.hiLike = hi
      model.emphLike = distinct emph foreign gloss mentioned soCalled term title code ident
   model.lPart = caesura rhyme
   model.specDescLike = specDesc specList
   model.xmlPhrase = att gi tag val
   model.pPart.data = address
      model.dateLike = date
      model.measureLike = measure num
      model.nameLike = geogName lang placeName rs
          model.nameLike.agent = name orgName persName
      model.timeLike = time
   model.pPart.edit =
      model.pPart.editorial = abbr choice expan
      model.pPart.transcribe = add app corr damage del orig reg restore sic space supplied unclear
   model.pPart.msdesc = catchwords dimensions handShift heraldry locus
      material origDate origPlace secFol signatures watermark
   model.ptrLike = ptr ref
   model.ptrLike.form = oRef oVar pRef pVar
   model.segLike = c cl m phr s seg w

model.limitedPhrase =
   model.egLike = eg egXML
   model.xmlPhrase = att gi tag val
   model.pPart.data = address
      model.dateLike = date
      model.measureLike = measure num
      model.nameLike = geogName lang placeName rs
          model.nameLike.agent = name orgName persName
      model.timeLike = time
   model.pPart.msdesc = catchwords dimensions handShift heraldry locus
      material origDate origPlace secFol signatures watermark
   model.ptrLike = ptr ref
   model.emphLike = distinct emph foreign gloss mentioned soCalled term title code ident
   model.pPart.editorial = abbr choice expan

--------- complete re-arrangement ---------

model.phrase =
   model.phrase.transcribe =
      model.egLike = eg egXML
      model.pPart.transcribe = add damage del restore space unclear
      model.pPart.editorial = abbr expan sic
      model.hiLike = hi
      model.lPart = caesura rhyme
      model.ptrLike.form = oRef oVar pRef pVar
      model.segLike = c cl m phr s seg w
   model.phrase.originate =
      model.graphicLike = binaryObject formula graphic
      model.pPart.originate = corr orig reg supplied