[tei-council] egXML and namespaces in TEI

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 05:42:46 EST 2007

Conal Tuohy wrote:
> "The element's contents should be marked as belonging to the namespace
> http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples if they are to be validated against the
> TEI scheme; if the content is well-formed XML from some other namespace,
> it must be enclosed in a CDATA marked section. If the content is not
> well-formed XML, the more general <eg> element should be used in
> preference."

this may need a rewrite. <egXML> itself
needs to be in the target namespace, otherwise you
cannot just cut and paste stuff into it.
> How does the use of the http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples namespace help
> with validation? It seems odd to me to define another namespace (no pun
> intended), because the element names in that namespace are (I assume)
> the same as those defined in the namespace http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0/

true. /Examples is just a copy of /1.0   - but how
else do we manage it?
> Also, why must non-TEI-namespaced examples be quoted in a CDATA section?

they don't have to be in generality.

> I note also that the source ODD files have the egXML elements in the
> example namespace, although the note above says to put the egXML
> element's CONTENTS in that namespace. For example, if you look at the
> definition of catDesc:
> http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/tei/trunk/P5/Source/Spe
> cs/catDesc.xml
> The parent exemplum element is supposed to contain an element called
> egXML in the TEI namespace, but instead it contains an element called
> egXML in the "TEI example" namespace. I am pretty sure this is an error.

no. <egXML> itself is in the examples namespace,
for good or bad
> One final thing: the "TEI example" namespace URL
> http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples produces a 404. It would be nice to
> have a document there, perhaps with a link to the documentation for
> egXML.

true.

I think what's needed is a better description of <egXML>
is supposed to work. I guess I should write it.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk