[tei-council] open issues and planning

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jan 22 20:26:24 EST 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> Syd Bauman wrote:
>>>   I probably missed something, then. I thought we were quite careful
>>>   at the MM in Victoria *not* to make a full-fledged commitment to
>>>   have P5 done by College Park.
>> Memories obviously vary. I thought we made an absolute
>> commitment to do this!
>
> Me too.

You already know my take on this.  Sorry, Syd, but this time its for real!

>> why can't we have another f2f before November?

> I suggested a FTF meeting to review the state of chapters before
> publication, yes. It could be any time before November.

As you noticed in the budget note, I am already trying to clear the way
for this.  Late August might be a good time for this.

> In my opinion, the priorities are (still)
>
> - triage of outstanding SF feature requests

That's on the editors plate

> - chapter review

Do you mean "internal review by Council members" or do you want to farm
it out to external reviewers?

> The specific items Syd mentions are all things that could be resolved
> quite quickly, I think, once we accept that it's more important to have
> a finished product than a perfect one.

Well said. The most important thing for me would be to make sure that we
have got the structure right, so that the upper floors can be built,
decorated and populated in due time, without causing the lower courts to
collapse.
The "I18N example infrastructure" for example is such a case where I
think we might not be able to built it right now, but we do not want to
realize that we have to take some supporting walls down to get there
once it's time has come. (And in my view it does in fact have some
urgency since some people now translating might want to hand us some of
their examples for inclusion in the main source pretty soon -- I18N is
one of the major strengths of P5 and we would be foolish to do this
halfheartedly).

Christian

--

  Christian Wittern