[tei-council] open issues and planning

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 16:23:26 EST 2007

Dan O'Donnell wrote:

>> Perhaps I should bore you all with a SWOT analysis?
>>

> Would it be a less useful than boring analysis? I'd like to know!

Actually, I think we already did the SWOT in Victoria, in our
Board meeting, informally.

In summary, for the project "P5 by October 1st":

Strengths:  makes it look as if the Consortium can deliver stuff;
   allows members to start using it; frees resources for other things

Weaknesses: if it isn't polished and consistent it makes us look bad
    if we announce it and fail to finish, we look fools;
    if we fall behind, morale suffers badly and volunteer
    labour drops out

Opportunities: we can take the TEI to a new level of
    interoperability if we get the <equiv> mechanism right

Threats: The editorial work of the TEI is delegated to two people;
     if one or both fall behind schedule we have no backup arranged.
     The editors can only do their work based on volunteer labour of
     others - this may dry up.  The Council may reach deadlock in
     discussing an issue and fail to resolve it in time.

and so on. Any ideas on mitigating the threats, or
adding to the strengths and opportunities?

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk