[tei-council] open issues and planning

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Jan 22 16:20:13 EST 2007

If there is a culture problem on council--and I'm a terrible
procrastinator as well--then we need to try and change the culture for
the year. It is relatively imperative, as I understand things, that we
get through to P5 1.0 this year.

I've been going through the board minutes and while there is no magic
phrase--"We absolutely must have P5 out this year"--there is a lot of
discussion about the sustainability of the current efforts beyond 2007
(and not much hope that we will be able to). The pressure is external as
well as internal and affect both funding and cooperation with other
agencies, so it is not simply a matter of finding small amounts of extra
money.

In addition, the Board is currently working on a model for the TEI in a
post P5 world with a relatively clear idea that we are talking about
"starting next year."

I wonder if flagging items along the lines proposed here would not be
doable without taking too much time away from actual guidelines work. It
may be a very good practice as we close in on the end--and save us some
time. I'd imagine editorial judgement is required for a final call, but
we might be able to delegate somebody to go through and do a rough
sorting first?

What say?

-dan

--