[tei-council] open issues and planning

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 19 03:54:08 EST 2007

Wittern Christian wrote:
>      (1) * chapter review, including review of examples
>      (2) * decision on module dependency architecture made, and if yes
> implemented
>      (3) * remove instructions on how to invoke TEI DTD from each chapter
>      (4) * New user needs to have an easy way to generate customization
> ODD and generate schemas
>      (5) * text of prose matches specs
>      (6) * *Specs frozen! :-)
>      (7) * Dictionary rewrite completed
>      (8) * Modification and Conformance chapters rewritten
>
> I was wondering where we stand on these issues and how much work needs
> to be done.  Since there is some dependency on this, it seems to me that
> we should see how much is needed to achieve (6).
One absolute requirement here is to assess all outstanding bug reports
and feature
requests in SF, and deal with them one way or another. If, for example,
Dan is
going to raise issues about <choice>, that needs a quick agreement.

With my I18N hat on, there are now five groups translating
descriptions of specs with a delivery date of the autumn
at latest. I am taking it on trust therefore that the specs _are_
frozen to all intents and purposes.

The PERS activity will likely need some Specs adding. and dictionaries
of course.
> Also, (1) could
> commence on chapters that are already checked off with regards to the spec.
> Can someone remind me what we decided with respect to (2)?

I (think) we agreed it was unworkable and not probably needed. The immediate
requirement was met by the new model class facility to allow sequences
as well as alternations. I think we should let this one die a natural death
for now
> It seems to me that we should start (1), which will take a while to
> complete, as soon as possible.  What are the preconditions to start
> here? Who will be in charge of this?  These are questions we should adress.

agreed. someone has to drive this in a pretty strict way.

I did wonder about running trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) as an aide.
> * schematron rules (SR?)

what about them? support for them is implemented, but
I the reaction I got a few weeks ago seemed to
be against it. As I said then, I'd much rather implement
a div0/div/div1 thing using Schematron if we
accept its serious use
> * infrastructure for examples (LB, SB)

In my opinion, we have no resources to
deal with this. I think its a distraction this year.
> * div0, div1 decision (SB)

If you accept my model class reimplementation of <body>,
can we just agree to abide by the results of James and Ariana's
surveymonkey, and simply implement what they find out.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk