[tei-council] solving unnumbered divs (bis)

Wittern Christian wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jan 18 07:24:51 EST 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Wittern Christian wrote:
>> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>> you could offer a choice between
>>>
>>>  1. remove all numbered divs from the TEI
>>>  2. remove div0 entirely
>>>  3. always start with div0
>>>  4. allow div0 or div1 as starting point
>>>

>> To which I would like to add
>>  5. numbered divs always start with div1
>>
>> since that is what I prefer.  Given the (perceived) demographics of
>> the TEI community, I would expect this to be a popular one.  And you
>> should make it clear that everybody gets to choose only one!
>>
>> Christian
> Is it wise to base this decision solely on "perceived demographics"?
> WHat's the basis for the perception? Where is the evidence?Those chaps
> in NZ have barely started their survey yet, let alone produced any results.
>
> I note also that we have in the past made far more radical changes in P5
> (id to xml:id, lang to xml:lang) on the basis of other criteria, and
> even (in the latter case) in the teeth of voluble opposition from the
> "perceived demographic".
>
> Personally I would like to have a good technical argument for making (or
> not making) any of these changes.

Well, I guess you noted the tongue in cheek. But as it happens, this is
supposed to go into a questionaire to solicit some answers to this very
questions -- with results that might be quite different from what I
expected.  And BTW, the original set originated with Sebastian, it is
not something I made up.

Best, Christian

--

  Christian Wittern