[tei-council] solving unnumbered divs (bis)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 04:55:03 EST 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> The technical argument is simple. If we don't do something about the
> the promise of the TEI that you can remove more or less any element
> and things will sort themselves
> is out the window.
>
> So jump off the fence, and choose your preference:
>
>  1. leave things as they are. tell Ron to read Syd's solutions on the
> wiki
>  2. rewrite the body content model in such a clever way that it
> survives the loss of div0 and div1 in DTD
>  3. model-ize the divXX things so that things come out in the wash (my
> proposal)
>  4. rewrite the ODD processor to make a clean DTD whatever happens
>  5. all of 2, 3 and 4 simultaneously

That's quite a different set of proposals from the set that Christian
just presented! Forgive me if too much tropical sun has blunted my
perceptions, but he seemed to be proposing abolition of one or more of
the various flavours of div, not making them into distinct classes.

If the latter is the issue before us, we've already agreed that
references to classes should be preferred above references to elements
wherever possible, so what's the argument about?