[tei-council] solving unnumbered divs (bis)

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+tei at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 17 14:23:45 EST 2007

Dear TEI Council,
> You asked for the case for the defense (of both a <div0> and <div1>
> as top-level division). I am presenting one: users requested it, and
> unless we find out that they've changed their minds, that's an
> argument to keep them both.

The TEI Guidelines strive mightily to be flexible, allowing multiple
ways to do the same thing because different user subcommunities have
different preferences. The arguments for doing what users want are
self-evident and certainly sensible, but we pay a price for this, which
has been brought to our attention recently in the discussion of how

I'd like to suggest that TEI Council not be excessively shy about
expressing a strong opinion (when we can more or less agree on one)
about best practice, and about steering the Guidelines in that
direction. Users who want to do something differently have the ability
to customize, so nobody is suggesting that deviating from out-of-the-box
TEI (to the extent that there is such a thing) means exile from the TEI
community, but to the extent that we prioritize making it easier for
people to do whatever they please, we move toward guidelines that don't
guide as much as they might.

In arguing that we should not be excessively flexible I certainly don't
mean to suggest that we should be capriciously dictatorial. Rather, I
think "some people want to do it this way" is an argument that should be
treated with respect, but it is not something that puts an end to all
argument.

Best,

David