[tei-council] Agenda item?

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Jan 17 13:21:21 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-17-01 at 18:52 +0000, Lou Burnard wrote:
> Dan O'Donnell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a topic that I hesitantly mention: tei:choice. My own conviction
> > is that we have too narrow a content model for the element. But I
> > understand that it may be too late to revisit the question?
> >
> > I've been asking around to find a consensus on when an element of P5 has
> > been "decided" and only minor modifications are considered possible, but
> > we apparently don't have one.
>
> I seem to have missed out on this "asking around": were you seeking
> Council's opinion on the procedural issue of when/how element
> definitions get fixed, or on the specific technical issue of whether the
> current proposal for the content model of <choice> needs attention?
>

> > If anybody thinks this is worth discussing at this telco or the next, I
> > can prepare something.
> >

> On which topic?

The one I labelled as "a topic" above: tei:choice. The "asking around"
about procedure, as the expression suggests, was informal and so didn't
involve more than a couple of casual email exchanges with some old TEI
hands in the course of other business: before proposing that we revisit
choice, I thought I better check if it was maybe too late or if there
was a procedure to indicate that certain topics were now closed or open.

The answer I got back each time was that there seemed not to be a formal
process in place covering this at council. It was suggested to me that
the procedural aspect might be worth discussing at council as well,
though that's at best a secondary interest of mine here. We seem to be
doing all right on the whole and I'm just interested in choice.

-dan

> > -dan

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191