[tei-council] TEI Conformance

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Dec 5 13:38:57 EST 2006

I'm trying to catch up on where we are with this. From what I've been
seeing, my sense is that the namespace issue actually is relatively
important in conformance, no?

If so, do we have a consensus that we need to do something about it in
determining conformance rules or are we still thinking we should be
leaving it to one side?

I like the idea of taking the W3C specification Conal cites, mutatis
mutandis. The only addition I would make comes back to the idea of TEI
extensions. These seem to me to be neither fish nor fowl in the W3C
formulation. One the one hand we, like they, do not want to polute the
TEI P5 namespace; but extending the TEI using the provided mechanisms is
not the same thing as simply using a different name space. So how about
something like this:

On Tue, 2006-05-12 at 11:43 +1300, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> [...]
> > elements.  So in the
> > first they import an existing standard not intended for use
> > with TEI documents
> > and apply it (or part of it?) to some portion of an otherwise
> > TEI document.  In
> > the second they build out from the TEI and add new elements
> > where the TEI
> > doesn't have them.  Although I understand that they are both foreign
> > vocabularies from a TEI perspective, they have got there
> > through very different
> > routes.
>
> Yes ... though really it's just the perennial issue in software
> development of whether to build something new or to re-use. Users will
> extend TEI (building something new) but some of their building materials
> may exist in prefabricated form.
>
> To re-use a vocabulary doesn't necessarily require inclusion of an
> external schema. A TEI ODD can use <elementSpec> etc to explicitly
> define elements whose names are drawn from an existing namespace (which
> may or may not be already defined in some other, "canonical", schema).
> Sebastian's customisation manual gives an "amusing" example of this
> approach, which adds XInclude vocabulary to TEI.
>
> > > I can think of cases where one would want to write one's
> > own (TEI ODD)
> > > schema for an extension which uses another, pre-existing,
> > namespace. For
> > > instance, one might define a TEI schema which includes some date
> > > elements from the Qualified Dublin Core namespace
> > > http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/, such as dateCopyrighted,
> > > dateSubmitted, or whatever, without wanting to import all
> > the DC types,
> > > and while actually constraining those elements further than the
> > > Qualified DC schema
> > > http://dublincore.org/schemas/xmls/qdc/2006/01/06/dcterms.xsd does.
> >
> > Do, or should, we have any recommendations concerning the use
> > of other
> > namespaces in this way?  Should we be saying that if you use
> > another existing
> > namespace you should use its schema as it intended? (I think
> > the answer is No,
> > we shouldn't say this).
>
> I agree - and in fact I don't think we even CAN say that, because a
> namespace doesn't necessarily HAVE a schema of its own. A namespace may
> be used in zero or more schemas, and there's not necessarily a
> "canonical" schema for a namespace (or vice versa, either). For
> instance, the XSLT namespace ("http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") is
> used in XSLT 1 and also XSLT 2, which are distinct markup languages (and
> neither of which, AFAIK, even HAVE normative machine-readable schemas!)
>
> I think it's important to be clear that namespaces and schemas are
> really quite distinct things. A schema defines a language, whereas a
> namespace is a label for a vocabulary. A language may use any number of
> vocabularies, and conversely the same vocabulary may appear in multiple

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191