[tei-council] TEI Conformance

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Nov 28 10:50:58 EST 2006

I don't know what Dan has in mind with "not TEI-certified
Conformant", but I think we have been and should continue to be
really clear that

* the TEI is not in the business of certifying things

* conformance is like validity: either you are or you aren't

* conformance must permit scholars to create their own, conformant,
  arcane encodings for things we haven't thought of

* conformance should make it easy for scholars to do so

* it is very important that we continue to make efforts to lower the
  barriers to TEI usage

And yes, that second bullet point entirely negates the idea of
different "levels" or "types" of conformance. What is being discussed
at http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Conformance is *not*
conformance, but rather "degrees of interchangeability" or some such.