[Fwd: Re: [tei-council] DRAFT Agenda for the TEI Council teleconference on November 22th, 2006 1200 UTC]

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 07:49:41 EST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [tei-council] DRAFT Agenda for the TEI Council
teleconference on November 22th, 2006 1200 UTC
Date: 	Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:28:49 +0000
From: 	Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
To: 	Christian Wittern <wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

Christian Wittern wrote:
> C) I18N
>
> Sebastian, please give us a brief report on where we stand here.

I gave a talk on I18N at Victoria, visible at
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Talks/2006-10-victoria/i18n.xml,
which may be of interest.

In summary:

Translations:
---------------------

 Japanese: more or less finished, Ohya Kazushi gave me the bulk of it
in Canada
 Chinese: under way, Weining Huang sent me TEI Core in October
 French: under way, only TEI Header complete so far
 German: Werner Wegstein is organising this, but no results yet
 Spanish: contact with the Cervantes library has been lost; I am waiting
      to see whether a Spanish student gets a placement at Oxford next
      spring, and can fit the work in, before I ask for a new Spanish
contact.

Given that the Japanese and Chinese look like coming in way under budget,
I have taken the liberty of adding Italian to the possible menu. Lou
has a strong link with people in Forli who will look at the idea.

Roma
---------
As demonstrated in Victoria, the Roma interface now correctly
shows translated descriptions etc where available. More testing
on this will be needed, but the basic work on the ODD processing
has been done.

Interface
---------------
http://www.tei-c.org/I18N/trans.xhtml shows the state of play.
I plan to make this sophisticated enough after Christmas
to be a form into which people can submit translations. This
would be for the main translators, but for individuals
to submit updates and corrections.

The main translators are being given summary ODD XML files
in which to write their stuff, and there is a process to merge
that back into P5 sources. All the translated <desc> and <gloss>
elements are stored in the master P5, distinguished by @xml:lang.

Examples
----------------
It remains far from clear how to handle translated
or variant examples, but since this is not
a direct aim of the project, I am leaving the
subject to stew for a while.

Printed Guidelines
I intend to come back to a decent PDF rendering
of ODD documents in the new year; this will
mean being able to render the Japanese
and Chinese properly.

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk